Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO), India Ministry of Labour & Employment, Government of India has issued circular No. WSU/15(1)2019/ATR/529 dated 15th June, 2021 regardingMandatory seeding of Aadhar Number for filing of ECR-Reg.in order to provide relief amid the COVID-19 pandemic.to to PF Account holders.
EPFO has extended the last date to seed the Aadhaar number with the universal account number (UAN) for filing electronic challan-cum-returns till September 1, 2021.The revised date will now be Sept 1, 2021 instead of June 1, 2021.
1. The EPFO had decided to make Aadhaar seeding compulsory after a labour ministry notification in this regard.
2. A notification was issued by the labour ministry on May 3, 2021, which mandated the ministry and bodies working under it to seek Aadhaar number from the beneficiaries under the Social Security Code.
3. Section 142 of the Code on Social Security, 2020, has been brought into force, with effect from 03.05.2021.
4. Section 142 of Social Security Code provides for establishing the identity of an employee or an unorganized worker or any other person through Aadhaar number for seeking benefits and availing services under the Code.
5. This will give more time to employers to link their employees Aadhaar number with PF accounts or UAN.
6. According to the Authority, electronic challan-cum-returns (ECR) will be allowed to be filed only for those members whose Aadhaar numbers are seeded and verified with the UANs with effect from June 1, 2021.
6. It is mandatory to seed the Aadhaar number with the UAN while filing ECRs.
7. UAN:The UAN (universal account number)is basically a 12-digit account number allotted by the Employee Provident Fund Organisation to every employee where the EPF deposits are being made.
8. Purpose of UAN:The UAN makes the process of operating PF account services such as availing withdrawal, PF loans, or checking the EPF balance easier and convenient for the account holders.
Every effort has been made to avoid errors or omissions in this material. In spite of this, errors may creep in. Any mistake, error or discrepancy noted may be brought to our notice which shall be taken care of in the next edition. In no event the author shall be liable for any direct, indirect, special or incidental damage resulting from or arising out of or in connection with the use of this information.
Author: Lalit Rajput (Company Secretary)